Monday 11 February 2013

Saturday sewing, and more....


Finally finished the green patchwork skirt, inspired by Lara's charm skirt from a while back. I put the patches together, took a photo to remember the arangement, and that was it for a while. Sewed the patches together a couple of months ago, and then FINALLY on Saturday, actually finished the skirt! The holdup had been trying to figure how to include a pocket, and in the end I just went for a simple patch pocket on the back, using 2 of the colours from the front.

Yesterday we went to the Dear Jane quilt exhibition. Gorgeous, amazing quilts. But my hand sewing is never going to be neat enough to piece a quilt, so I will stick to admiring the work of others and occasionally putting a few patches together with the machine for skirts, cushions etc.!!!!
Last night's creativity happened in the kitchen. I have wanted to try making yoghurt for ages, I looked at those "easiyo" kits at the supermarket, bit just don't have room for yet another kitchen gadget, let alone one I may not use much. So I searched for some alternative recipes, and found ideas the "not quite Nigella" and "River Cottage" websites for making yoghurt in a thermos.

Heated the milk and mixed it up last night, then couldn't wait to open it this morning ( well actually, as soon as Tigerboy saw the thermos this morning, he was ready with a bowl & spoon!). The texture is perfect, just like good quality yoghurt like Jalna. A bit tart but that is because of the starter yoghurt. We added some raspberry sauce and frozen raspberries and will eat the rest after school. Then I think we will need to try another batch, and experiment with adding a bit of sugar or flavour. Coffee essence maybe? Grated chocolate - no, that would just melt...powdered drinking choc mixed into the heated milk perhaps. Hmm, making me hungry just thinking about it! I am so pleased with my little science experiment!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for dropping by. Questions? comments? Write a note here - so I know if anyone actually reads my ramblings!